Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Salsa de Fuega

I literally found this scribbled on a piece of paper in my recipe notebook, tattered and bent up and undoubtedly frantically written by me following feasting on such a treat and desperate to have the recipe, but then having a waiter or chef rattle off it's contents at lightning fast warp speed so as to throw me off. But you see, I am a PRO when it comes to collecting info. Especially info involving food. Should have been a spy. Needless to say, it is fresh, fantastic and it ROCKS over omelets, over fish or chicken, cradled atop pita chips, is FAB folded with sour cream and shredded roasted chicken and stuffed into romaine leaves or whole wheat wraps. I eat it by the spoonful straight too, as I am a confessed vegetable addict. My own personal twist? I add drained, rinsed black beans and a few spoonfuls of fresh from the ear sweet corn to add some extra color, fiber and texture. I LOVE IT and I know you will too!

Lots of fresh tomatoes! {I use 6-8}
1 small yellow onion
1 small red onion
1 bunch green onions
1 green pepper
1 orange pepper
1 yellow pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno
2 avocados
big bunch of cilantro
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

De-seed and chop the peppers and jalapeno and saute' with chopped onions in olive oil over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes to lightly pan sear. Place in large food processor. Deseed and chop tomatoes and slice the garlic and add to processor. Pulse/chop to desired consistency. Pour into large bowl. Mince up minced cilantro and green onions and fold into mixture. Add drained, rinsed black beans and corn if desired and fold gently in. Squeeze the juices from the lime and lemon into a bowl and chop and add the avocado to it to coat. Fold all together into mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. PERFECT to take to a BBQ or potluck! Put it in a pretty bowl and let the devouring begin!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! I love making home made salsa! Thanks for Sharing - i will be making this one next :)

    ReplyDelete